Monthly archive for ‘ September, 2018 ’

New book highlights 80 years of BUSHkids

19th September 2018 | Closed

Celebrating the book launch on Tuesday were Faye Evans, Redcliffe, Beverly Ruthenberg, Lowood, Matt Tesch, Adrian Harrison, Dorothy Wieden, Kipparing, Dr Neil Bartels, Carlton Meyn and Patricia Carlin, Mitchelton. More than 42,000 stories of everyday Queenslanders have been captured in a remarkable book that celebrates 80 years of theRoyal Queensland Bush Children’s Health Scheme.
Nanjing Night Net

Titled BUSHIES, the book was officially launched on Tuesdayby the Scheme’s Patron, Queensland Governor the honourable Paul de Jersey AC, at a reception at Government House.

BUSHkids is a not for profit organisation providing primary health care to children and their families in rural Queensland communities. The organisation aims to provideearly interventionallied health for children and families who otherwise may have been unable to access services in their local area.

“Only two small booklets about the history of the Royal Queensland Bush Children’s Health Scheme had been produced before,” said Chief Executive Officer Carlton Meyn.

“One of our key projects in the lead-up to our 80th anniversary in 2015 was to investigate our archives and talk to as many former ‘Bush kids’ and staff and volunteers as we could to capture their stories.

“This turned out to be a massive exercise, taking almost three years to complete.

“The resulting book is a magnificent testament to the vision of our Scheme’s founders and the spirit of many generations of Queenslanders who have stayed true to the goal of providing necessary care to rural, remote and regional families despite all the changes and challenges over eight decades.”

Queensland Governor the honourable Paul de Jersey AC with descendants of former Governor, Sir Leslie Wilson, who was instrumental in launching BUSHkids more than 80 years ago. From Ian, Kelly and Leslie Carruthers with Kaye, Rachel, Charlie, David and Amelia (second left) Wilson.

BUSHkids Council Chairman Dr Neil Bartels said the book highlighted amazing threads of continuity, longevity and determination.

“The BUSHkids of the early 21st Century is very different to that of its formation in the first half of the 20th Century – it had to be, to survive, to remain relevant and continue to serve Queensland families.

“For everyone involved in its administration today, reviewing the book has been an eye-opening experience to fully appreciate, perhaps for the first time, just how far we’ve come, what we’ve achieved and the many thousands of lives we’ve touched.”

Mr Meyn agreed.

“Two of our current staff members have more than 50 years’ service between them, Neil’s late father was himself Chairman for many years, and Pat Carlin, the lovely lady whose 2010 booklet was one of the foundations for this more expansive work, was with us for almost two decades,” he said.

“It’s also not uncommon for many of our client families to be second- and third-generation ‘Bush kids’ themselves so, even though the services we provide today are very different, it’s clear that the need is still very much there.”

The book’s project manager and editor/designer, Matt Tesch, said he and his co-writer, Adrian Harrison, owed much to the pioneering work of Pat Carlin and former Chairman Jim Arkell MBE.

“Without the ‘road map’ provided by their booklets, in 2010 and 1974 respectively, our task would have been even harder in 2014-16,” Mr Tesch said.

“More than 8,000 archival images and documents had to be sifted and sorted and more than 2,000 digitised. More than 800 found their way into the richly-illustrated 448 pages of this ‘once-in-many-lifetimes’ publication, the product of around 50 interviews and thousands of hours of research.”

The book may be ordered via the BUSHkids website, from the Scheme’s Brisbane office or from a limited number of retailers.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Walk against melanoma needs feet

19th September 2018 | Closed

Help find a cure for melanomaResidents along the NSW north coast are being asked to step up and support a marathon trek to help end melanoma.
Nanjing Night Net

Melanoma survivor and Melanoma Institute Australia Community Coordinator Jay Allen will embark on The Longest Melanoma March from Brisbane to Sydney in March next year and needs locals to walkwith him through the picturesque north coast.

“I will be walking 1200 kilometres over 29 days in an effort to raise $250,000 for Melanoma InstituteAustralia to fund vital research to help end melanoma,” Jay said. “But I can’t do it alone. I need threedifferent co-walkers by my side every single day, and that’s where I’m asking north coast locals to step in.”

Jay was just 32 years old when he was diagnosed with melanoma. He was your typical Aussie bloke – ahusband, dad, son and mate to many. Overnight he went from being a truck driver to a cancer patient.

“I just never thought it would happen to me,” Jay said.

“I had a mole on my ankle that looked unusualand kept rubbing on my work boots and bleeding. It turned out to be a melanoma which was 1.95mmdeep and had spread to my lymph nodes.”

Jay underwent immediate surgery and treatment. Eight years on he is fighting fit – and is now fightingfor another cause – to help raise awareness and find a cure for melanoma which is the number onecancer killer of Australians aged 20-39.

“I had no idea how deadly melanoma could be,” Jay said. “I’m lucky to be alive so now it’s time to giveback. We’ve had a great response from people signing up to walk with me on short sections of the trek,but we still have spots to fill on the north coast.

“This is your chance to help change the future for thousands of Australians diagnosed with melanomaeach year. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.”

Each walker needs to raise $1,000 which goes towards Jay reaching his $250,000 target.

He will be walking between Urunga and Stuarts Point from Wednesday, March 15 and Friday, March 17.Anyoneinterested in walking alongside himcan email Jay at [email protected]论坛.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Narrandera’s AFL pre-season game confirmedPhotos

19th September 2018 | Closed

Narrandera SportsgroundAFL football will return to Narrandera Sportsground for the first time since 2010 in February.
Nanjing Night Net

As revealed by The Daily Advertiser last month, a pre-season AFL game will be held at Narrandera Sportsground next year.

The AFL confirmed on Wednesday that Greater Western Sydney (GWS) will play West Coast Eagles at 2.05pm on Saturday, February 18.

It will be a homecoming for Narrandera’s GWS-listed footballers Zac Williams and Matt Flynn.

Riverina football fans are fortunate enough to be treated to a game between two top eight teams from last year.

The Eagles, grand finalists in 2015, were knocked out in the opening week of finals this year by eventual premiers Western Bulldogs.

The Giants were also ousted by the Bulldogs, in a classic preliminary final.

The switch back to Narrandera ends Wagga’s run of AFL pre-season games.

Robertson Oval has hosted games three times over the past four years.

Narrandera ShireCouncil applied to host the game and have been busybuilding coaches boxes at the Sportsground, that will be ready in time for thegame.

The council is also confident the ground will be in good condition, after being overlooked for this year’s Riverina League grand final.

Albury will also host a pre-season game with Sydney Swans to play St Kilda under lights at Lavington Sportsground on March 12 at 7.10pm.

Narrandera’s AFL pre-season game confirmed | Photos Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

Sydney Swans playing North Melbourne in a NAB Cup pre-season AFL game at Narrandera Sportsground in March, 2010.

TweetFacebookThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Boxer defends his title

19th September 2018 | Closed

FIGHTING FIT: Gunnedah’s Wade Ryan won his bout at Luna Park last Friday to enable him to maintain his World Boxing Council middleweight title.
Nanjing Night Net

GUNNEDAH’S Wade Ryan maintained his World Boxing Council (WBC) Asian Boxing Council (ABCO) Continental middleweight title as he accounted forBondi’s John Halabi at Luna Park last Friday night.

“I rate that victory up there as one of my best,” Ryan said, noting that Halabi had a lot of support among the crowd of about 1600.

The Gunnedah middleweight boxer nonetheless thanked his contingent of fans who came to Sydney to support him.

Last Friday was Ryan’s fourth bout of the year, having started in February with a winagainst Adili Abulimiti in Lanzhou to initially earn the WBCABCO Continental middleweighttitle.

“The one I won in China was most satisfying. To defend the WBC title at Luna Park was satisfying, (with) all the hard work (that went into it),” Ryan said.

Ryan referred to preparation as he alluded to weight, diet, health and the physical side of things.

Ryan’s victory in China came as his opponent retired after eight of the scheduled 12 rounds, before Ryan’s win at Luna Park was a Technical Knockout (TKO).

Ryan’s second bout of the year, in August, resulted in a loss in a split decision (SD) against Wes Capper in Perth as an Australian middleweight title was on offer.

Ryan regained his winning ways as he won in a unanimous decision (UD) against Joe Rea in Launceston during October.

Acknowledginghis trainers David Syphers and Richard Dumaluan, Ryan said: “I think this year’s been a very big eye-opener for us.”

Ryan sensed that his bout in China “gave us a lot of exposure” as it was the first time he had ever been overseas.

“It opens some doors to bigger fights in 2017,” Ryan said.

Ryan recalled that it was “pretty surreal” to fight in front of a big crowd at a big stadium in China, with all of the spectators supporting Abulimiti.

“To win by TKO in the eighth round would be the highlight of the year,” Ryan said.

As for the loss to Capper, Ryan said: “It was a bit disheartening because we put our heart and soul into it.

“But we took a lot out of it…you learn just as much out of a loss as a win.”

Having missed out on an Australian title this year, Ryan said “it’s definitely a title we want next year”.

Whether or not Ryan contests Capper again would depend on whether Capper maintained his title or sought to defend it.

Ryan indicated that he also sought to defend his WBC title, and perhaps vie for an International Boxing Federation (IBF), International Boxing Organization (IBO) or World Boxing Association (WBA) title.

“The sky’s the limit,” Ryan said.

“We’ve got to stay focused. Got to take it one fight at a time.”

Ryan even indicated there was apossibility of a bout in Gunnedah, saying: “It’s always good to fight in front of your home crowd.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Murra Warra wind farm approved

19th September 2018 | Closed

The site of the proposed Murra Warra wind farm.A PROPOSED$662million, 116-turbine wind farm at Murra Warra, 25 kilometres north of Horsham, has gained planning approval.
Nanjing Night Net

Horsham businesses would become a major source of services and goods for the project and its workers according toaneconomic benefit assessment.

Victorian Planning Minister Richard Wynne said the proposal was supported by the community with no objections received when the application was advertised for consultation.

Renewable Energy Systems will operate the Murra Warra project and is in the process of building a 75-turbine wind farm near Ararat.

Renewable Energy Systems project manager Kevin Garthwaite the planningpermit was fantastic news,

“We are really grateful to local councils, the Wimmera Development Association, local farmers and the community for the tremendous support they have given to the project over the past few years and we are really looking forward taking it forward to completion,” he said.

Renewable Energy Systemsstated that wind farm would produce 420 megawatts of generation when completed, enough to power 250,000 Victorian households and save over 1.3 million tonnes of greenhouse gasses per year.

The project’s economic benefits assessment stated that the construction phase will create 235 direct and 375 indirect jobs.

Once operational, the wind warm will sustain 15 direct and 45 indirect jobs.

Horsham and nearby towns areset for an economic boost if the project goes ahead.

“The major regional city of Horsham will underpin most of the project needs in view of its significant supply of accommodation, trade supplies and transport services, retail services, entertainment and so on,” the benefit assessment stated.

“The nearby townsof Warracknabeal, Dimboola and Minyip would also be expected to provide project support services.”

Member for Western VictoriaJaala Pulford welcomed the planning permit.

“This is a win for Western Victoria and a win for the environment. This is the type of clean energy investment the Andrews Labor Government is proud to support,” she said.

According the plan, the highest tip of the blades will reach 220 metres off the ground.

The site will include 75km of internal track and local road improvements and a temporary on site quarry to reduce heavy vehicle movement on local roads

There will also be a terminal station to connect to the 220 kilovoltgrid network.

Renewable Energy Systems has stated that most internal cabling will be underground however there could potentially be up to 15km of overhead line within the wind farm.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.